In the last post about bumper stickers, we discovered the world record for collecting bumper stickers is 4,131, but did you know there is a world record held for the largest ball of stickers? Quite a remarkable feat, this ball of stickers was created by an American sticker company in honour of the first national sticker day in the USA. The ball is made from about 200,000 stickers and weighs more than an average sized human male.
Bumper stickers can be applied, pretty much anywhere! They are made from high quality vinyl that is durable, weatherproof and UV resistant. They can be applied to other outdoor surfaces like poles, buildings, motorcycle helmets, or the rear window of the car, although not in the driver’s direct line of sight.
Bumper stickers can also be applied to other surfaces, like laptops, eskies, bar fridges, etc. But, if you want to apply your new bumper sticker to your car, check out the following application tips and steps to ensure you get maximum usage from your sticker.
TO APPLY YOUR BUMPER STICKER:
1. DECIDE ON STICKER POSITION–
- Before you apply your bumper sticker, consider how much exposure and attention you want from your sticker.
- The maximum exposure the sticker will receive is the back of the car because that’s where most drivers look when they stop behind you at an intersection or traffic lights.
2. CLEAN STICKER AREA–
- Ensure the chosen surface for your sticker is spick and span with no dust or debris. Surface dust interacts with the sticker and can cause bubbling and potential peeling, which reduces the life of the sticker.
- When cleaning the area use a soft cloth and warm, soapy water. After washing the surface, ensure the area is dried thoroughly and no dirt or spots are left. Make sure the area is very dry!
3. PREPARE STICKER FOR APPLICATION–
- Line up the sticker to the area where it will be applied.
- Peel off one edge, usually the upper right-hand corner.
- Align the peeled edge to the surface of the bumper and let the adhesive make contact. Make sure the sticker is exactly where you want it to be.
- Slowly peel away the backing paper with one hand while gently connecting the adhesive with the other.
4. KEEP PEELING –
- Continue to peel away the backing and gently allow the sticker to connect to the car.
- Remain in control of the sticker at all times and try not to allow any air bubbles to seep in, although this can be difficult.
- In the case of air bubbles being present after the sticker is fully attached, take an old plastic credit card or loyalty card and push this across the surface of the air bubble. This motion will push the air out of the sticker.
5. DETAIL THE STICKER –
- Wipe off any sticky residue or any dust with a damp cloth. Ensure your sticker is shiny and clean.
6. TAKE YOUR STICKER FOR A SPIN –
- Hop in your car and go for a drive.
- Stop at as many intersections and red lights as possible to see how effective your new sticker is!
It is not illegal to apply bumper stickers to your car, however, there are some considerations to think about, particularly if the sticker could be deemed offensive. Let’s discuss that in another blog.
Lastly, if you’re interested in learning more about the world’s largest ball of stickers here is the link. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2017/11/video-worlds-largest-sticker-ball-rolls-into-the-record-books-502156
DID YOU KNOW?
Boing Boing Stickers have a Super Special on Individually Cut BUMPER STICKERS! Prices start at $170.00 – Order Today!